Skip to main content

What She's Reading Now


What do you get when you combine a  night filled with laughter, wine, and your two best friends? 

Apparently a wine hangover, spending a lot of money at Hobby Lobby, and being a slug on the couch. 

But that's just me. 

But really,  is there any thing better than a great dinner with two friends who have known you longer than any other friends you've ever had? 

There wasn't a topic we didn't cover, a memory we didn't relive and a bottle of wine we didn't drink. 

This evening was spent catching up on what I missed from being away over night from the kids. You, know, the usual: boxed mac and cheese, Nerf gun fights and coloring. 


I thought I would catch up reporting what books I am reading, since I just started them both this weekend. I am reading In The Woods by Tana French. It's been a while since I have read a mystery/thriller so I am ready to dive into to this interesting story! After I finish this book, I will move on to The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin. 

In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1)

Description from Goodreads.com: As dusk approaches a small Dublin suburb in the summer of 1984, mothers begin to call their children home. But on this warm evening, three children do not return from the dark and silent woods. When the police arrive, they find only one of the children gripping a tree trunk in terror, wearing blood-filled sneakers, and unable to recall a single detail of the previous hours.

Twenty years later, the found boy, Rob Ryan, is a detective on the Dublin Murder Squad and keeps his past a secret. But when a twelve-year-old girl is found murdered in the same woods, he and Detective Cassie Maddox—his partner and closest friend—find themselves investigating a case chillingly similar to the previous unsolved mystery. Now, with only snippets of long-buried memories to guide him, Ryan has the chance to uncover both the mystery of the case before him and that of his own shadowy past.

And I am listening to this in the car while driving to work. I bet there aren't alot of romance novel lovers out there who don't love Adriana Trigiani. Her words are so so vivid and I get so lost inside her stories. I can't wait to do the same with this book! 

The Shoemaker's Wife

From Goodreads.com: The majestic and haunting beauty of the Italian Alps is the setting of the first meeting of Enza, a practical beauty, and Ciro, a strapping mountain boy, who meet as teenagers, despite growing up in villages just a few miles apart. At the turn of the last century, when Ciro catches the local priest in a scandal, he is banished from his village and sent to hide in America as an apprentice to a shoemaker in Little Italy. Without explanation, he leaves a bereft Enza behind. Soon, Enza's family faces disaster and she, too, is forced to go to America with her father to secure their future.

This riveting historical epic of love and family, war and loss, risk and destiny is the novel Adriana Trigiani was born to write, one inspired by her own family history and the love of tradition that has propelled her body of bestselling novels to international acclaim. Like Lucia, Lucia, The Shoemaker's Wife defines an era with clarity and splendor, with operatic scope and a vivid cast of characters who will live on in the imaginations of readers for years to come.




This week will be fun! I'll have a Literary Junkies link up for you on Tuesday and then later this week I will be posting some pictures of the new gallery wall decor I put up and I can't wait to show off my bedside table lamp that I redid! That being said, yes, I just bragged about my home decor projects. BOOM.

From California To Kansas






Jess at Tooth N Nails, and Mallory at From California To Kansas and I will be tweeting our Brag About It Posts and you can too! Join us and stop being so damn polite and BRAG about yo' selves! 

Comments

  1. I just finished my book and am in need of another good read. These two might be some contenders!! Thank you!

    Fanny
    www.pinstripedpenguin.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. that thriller sounds good. can't wait to hear how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really dig Tana French - not your run-of-the-mill mystery writer. Hope you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl ... I had a hangover on Sunday after drinking too much which I never do.
    So I'm gonna brag about that ... weekend warrior hangover! Book ... Bragged about it!

    xoxo
    Lanaya
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did I tell you I read The American Heiress? Twice?
    I ran out of reading material on vacation, but it was still worth reading twice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm planning on buying the Shoemaker's Wife for the next book I read. I hear it's very, very good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read all four books in that Tana French series this summer. I enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun night! I need to do that with my friends soon. I think it would be fun to have a blogger slumber party. Why can't my favorites all just move to Seattle?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

Ruth Ware always delivers when it comes to interesting and layered characters. The Turn of the Key is a thrilling account of Rowan Caine's experience as a live-in nanny in a luxurious smart home unlike anything she has ever seen. This mystery is the epitome of the saying "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" because even though moving into the home of the Elincourts is an upgrade from her tiny apartment and dead-end job, it comes at a steep price. Every chapter, there is something suspicious that kept me wondering if anyone in this suspenseful book was telling the truth. Which, is obvious in the first page because Rowan is writing a letter to a lawyer, from jail, because she's being held for murder. Who is Rowan? Did she come into the Elincourt's lives for a reason? She should have known something was wrong on the day she interviewed, when one of the children warned her to never come back. With a house full of surveillance cameras and parents who ar

Historical Fiction Recommendations

View this post on Instagram A post shared by Jennifer 📚 (@thats_what_she_read) on Jul 12, 2019 at 4:01pm PDT Raise your hand if you’re in the mood for a great  #historicalfiction  ! ⁣ randomhouse   #partner ⁣ } ⁣ The last HF I read was  # Montauk  by Nicola Harrison. It was a nice vacation! ⁣ ⁣ Here are the next two that are on my list: ⁣ TIME AFTER TIME By Lisa Grunwald (out now)⁣ A magical love story, inspired by the legend of a woman who vanished from Grand Central Terminal, sweeps readers from the 1920s to World War II and beyond. ⁣ On a clear December morning in 1937, at the famous gold clock in Grand Central Terminal, Joe Reynolds, a hardworking railroad man from Queens, meets a vibrant young woman who seems mysteriously out of place. Nora Lansing is a Manhattan socialite whose flapper clothing, pearl earrings, and talk of the Roaring Twenties don’t seem to match the bleak mood of Depression-era New York

Book Review: Summer of '69 by Elin Hilderbrand

One of my most favorite book of the summer so far!  Buy it here!  When Elin comes out with a new book, it's a must. Like a don't-even-read-the-synopsis no-brainer. Just as she delivered a multi-dimensional page turner with The Perfect Summer, Summer of '69 is just as much a treat- but with historical fiction at its core, which is a genre Elin hasn't presented before.  The story lines of several members of the Foley/Levin families intertwine as their lives during the summer of 1969 unfurl (or in some cases, unravel). There's 13-year-old Jessie, her mother Kate, and Kate's other three children, Tiger, a soldier serving in Vietnam, Kirby- a flower child with a rebellious streak and a past she's trying to run from, and Blair, who is about to give birth to twins and just made the biggest mistake of her life. At the top of the family tree is the matriarch, grandmother Exalta, who floats through the rooms of the family's sprawling Nantucket