Skip to main content

Book Review: What Alice Forgot




It's only January, which means I have the entire year to name my favorite book of 2015 but whatever I read will have to be pretty amazing to beat this book: 



It's about a woman named Alice. She's a mother, wife and apparently a go-getter. At least, that's what people tell her. Because if you were to ask Alice about her life, she'd tell you she's 28, married to Nick and pregnant with their first baby. 

But then she wakes up on the floor of a gym, in the middle of a spin class.  Everyone around her is telling her quite a different story. She's not 28, she's 38, she has 3 children and she and Nick are in the middle of a heated divorce. 

Alice has fallen and hit her head and apparently lost every memory from the last 10 years. And now she has to find the answers to questions that are coming at her from every direction. How can she be a mother to 3 children she doesn't know?nWhy did her marriage fail? Why are she and her sister no longer close? 

I loved this book because there are all of these unanswered questions and it's so interesting to read how Alice feels about the person she has become in the last 10 years. She doesn't exactly love herself in this new life she doesn't recognize. She can't figure out why her and Nick are divorcing. She doesn't know anything about the man she has been supposedly dating. And why do her neighbors hate her? Why is her sister so sad? And since when does she love to work out? When did she become such a bitchy, bossy person? 

One by one she finds the answers, and eventually starts connecting all of the dots. The amount of perspective she gains from knowing the mistakes she makes and their impact on her life is something I wish dearly to have for myself. 

I just really loved this book. I love all of Liane Moriarty's novels so I wasn't surprised. There were alot of side stories, including Alice's sister and grandmother, which give other dimensions and details to the entire story that I really enjoyed. And it's funny. There are sad topics but it's still a light story so it's the perfect balance. 

My recommendation? Read it!  This completes #2 on my Book Challenge because I listened to the story via Audible! 





Comments

  1. I don't think I have ever read any of her books before? Should I give it a go?? Would be wonderful if you could have a look at my blog and check out my reviews? This is a link to my review of a book I think, from this review, that you would really enjoy? http://hallofhappinessgap.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/review-of-we-were-liars-e-lockhart.html#more

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really intriguing , I'm going to add this to my wishlist I reckon, could possibly be my next audiobook.

    Meme xx

    http://thedayinthelifeofmexoxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this on my "to-read" list for a while. Your review might push it up a little.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book reminds me of the show Samantha Who?. I can't even imagine how I would feel if I woke up and couldn't remember the last 10 years of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgive me if this comes through twice but my pc just wiped the message when I was linking it to my google account. Just want to say thank you for sharing this review it makes me want to pick up the book and read it. I am adding it to my TBR list. Love your challenge for the year. Good Luck and Happy Reading

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the sound of this book!! I've never read any books from this author so definitely adding this to my wishlist of books :)

    http://planetvikki.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of it but sounds intriguing! Will definitely check this one out!
    Thanks for the recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought this book wasn't for me. I may reconsider.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this on my to read list and it might be getting bumped up a lot faster after reading your review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely LOVED this book!! I think it's a must read for women.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is on my to-read list. I'm looking forward to it and Liane Moriarty is looking like my binge read author of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I liked this book too!! Kind of makes you change your perspective on things a little bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I Bought this book this week, I've mentioned you in my latest blog post. Thanks so much for writing this review.

    Meme xx

    http://thedayinthelifeofmexoxo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow I'm a bit late to the party but I would still like to try your challenge there

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

Ruth Ware always delivers when it comes to interesting and layered characters. The Turn of the Key is a thrilling account of Rowan Caine's experience as a live-in nanny in a luxurious smart home unlike anything she has ever seen. This mystery is the epitome of the saying "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" because even though moving into the home of the Elincourts is an upgrade from her tiny apartment and dead-end job, it comes at a steep price. Every chapter, there is something suspicious that kept me wondering if anyone in this suspenseful book was telling the truth. Which, is obvious in the first page because Rowan is writing a letter to a lawyer, from jail, because she's being held for murder. Who is Rowan? Did she come into the Elincourt's lives for a reason? She should have known something was wrong on the day she interviewed, when one of the children warned her to never come back. With a house full of surveillance cameras and parents who ar

Historical Fiction Recommendations

View this post on Instagram A post shared by Jennifer 📚 (@thats_what_she_read) on Jul 12, 2019 at 4:01pm PDT Raise your hand if you’re in the mood for a great  #historicalfiction  ! ⁣ randomhouse   #partner ⁣ } ⁣ The last HF I read was  # Montauk  by Nicola Harrison. It was a nice vacation! ⁣ ⁣ Here are the next two that are on my list: ⁣ TIME AFTER TIME By Lisa Grunwald (out now)⁣ A magical love story, inspired by the legend of a woman who vanished from Grand Central Terminal, sweeps readers from the 1920s to World War II and beyond. ⁣ On a clear December morning in 1937, at the famous gold clock in Grand Central Terminal, Joe Reynolds, a hardworking railroad man from Queens, meets a vibrant young woman who seems mysteriously out of place. Nora Lansing is a Manhattan socialite whose flapper clothing, pearl earrings, and talk of the Roaring Twenties don’t seem to match the bleak mood of Depression-era New York

Book Review: The Reckless Oath Me Made by Bryn Greenwood

When a young woman is facing an unsteady future, layered on top of a very troubled past, the last thing she has time for is the strange young man who speaks in Middle English and is always following her around. Zee ignores him just fine until her sister goes missing and everything in her life is uncertain and she has no choice but to trust Gentry Frank.  "Zee may not be a princess, but Gentry is an actual knight, complete with sword, armor and a code of honor. Two years ago the voices he hears in his head called him to be Zee's champion. Both shy and autistic, he's barely spoken to her since, but has kept watch, ready to come to her aid."  The layers of this book are peeled away one by one, making it a deeply emotional and transient novel. Zee's character is complicated- she is sharp, deeply scarred but unabashedly brazen and brave. What I loved about her most was how trusted her gut even when she didn't have solid ground to stand on. Her mother is a hoard