Skip to main content

Show Us Your Books

Show Us Your Books: October, with Steph and Jana: 

Talk about your books, you ask? Well that's sure easy! Thanks Steph and Jana for having such a fun link up  and thanks to me, for FINALLY remembering to write a post for it. I seriously intend to recap the books I've read every month but I always forget and then face palm myself as soon as I see everyone else's posts. Seriously, this is the best way to add some great reads to your "to read" list so go check out the other bloggers' lists! 

This past month I found some really good ones, especially considered I spent most of the weeks leading up to Halloween reading  "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" with R1. Which I can't say I minded one bit! 

This doesn't really count since I just started it last night, but I wanted to share this beauty because I know I am going to love it: 



I'm super excited that she put some of ther quirkiness on a page. It's just a collection of her stories and memories about growing up in Hollywood. I think she is a truly grounded person who as flourished in her role as a mother. So far, sooo good! 


The Brockhurst File  I recieved from a blogger friend and I was super excited to get started on, mostly because I am addicted to shows like Forensic Files and 20/20. I have to say that even though I wanted it to sweep me away, just like How To Get Away With Murder does every Thursday, this just didn't do it for me. I think maybe it was the onslaught of several characters that you meet within the first pages that made it hard to keep straight. But if you can get thru the confusion of the first couple chapters, it has a creative storyline. 



After You by Jojo Moyes  - I literally flew through this one. You can read my review to get my full opinion but if you read the first book, Me Before You, then it's a natural progression to read the follow up story. I wasn't disappointed! 





Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff: I listened to this on Audible. This is a book with 2 parts but many, many layers. It's a page turner with crazy twists that gives the reader insight that we unfortunately are denied in real life. The characters and loathing and lovable, an addicting combination. Great read.



I posted my review for Brooklyn yesterday. I was said to see it end and said that it didn't have way more details but I still loved it. I love the era, the setting, the characters. Everything. Seriously excited to see the movie! 



Life According to Steph

Life According to Steph  & Jana Says 

I can't wait to see what everyone else has been reading! 

Comments

  1. ooh i didn't know drew barrymore had a book! i'll have to check it out. and yay after you! loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to get my hands on Fates & Furies.

    I 100% agree about the Brockhurst book as you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read After You. I need to do a new book post myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read Drew's book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added Drew's book because I find her so endearing. Your description of Fates and Furies has convinced me that I need to read it (also because I saw it on goodreads as an award nominee).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drew is adorable. She has gone through so much and came out on top. She just seems like such a sweet heart I would love to read her book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know Drew had a book! Fates and Furies sounds interesting. I have Me Before You on my list to read that I haven't gotten to yet. So obviously I have to get to that first before I can move to After You. SO many books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I nearly purchased Drew Barrymore's book the other day! I think you've convinced me that I need to indeed pick it up ASAP!
    http://aworldlyaddiction.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to read Drew's book! And I loved After You!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot wait for Fates and Furies to come in from the library. I've had it on hold for a month now. I'm also looking forward to reading After You, although after my disastrous experience with The Rosie Effect, sequels make me apprehensive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

Ruth Ware always delivers when it comes to interesting and layered characters. The Turn of the Key is a thrilling account of Rowan Caine's experience as a live-in nanny in a luxurious smart home unlike anything she has ever seen. This mystery is the epitome of the saying "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" because even though moving into the home of the Elincourts is an upgrade from her tiny apartment and dead-end job, it comes at a steep price. Every chapter, there is something suspicious that kept me wondering if anyone in this suspenseful book was telling the truth. Which, is obvious in the first page because Rowan is writing a letter to a lawyer, from jail, because she's being held for murder. Who is Rowan? Did she come into the Elincourt's lives for a reason? She should have known something was wrong on the day she interviewed, when one of the children warned her to never come back. With a house full of surveillance cameras and parents who ar

Historical Fiction Recommendations

View this post on Instagram A post shared by Jennifer 📚 (@thats_what_she_read) on Jul 12, 2019 at 4:01pm PDT Raise your hand if you’re in the mood for a great  #historicalfiction  ! ⁣ randomhouse   #partner ⁣ } ⁣ The last HF I read was  # Montauk  by Nicola Harrison. It was a nice vacation! ⁣ ⁣ Here are the next two that are on my list: ⁣ TIME AFTER TIME By Lisa Grunwald (out now)⁣ A magical love story, inspired by the legend of a woman who vanished from Grand Central Terminal, sweeps readers from the 1920s to World War II and beyond. ⁣ On a clear December morning in 1937, at the famous gold clock in Grand Central Terminal, Joe Reynolds, a hardworking railroad man from Queens, meets a vibrant young woman who seems mysteriously out of place. Nora Lansing is a Manhattan socialite whose flapper clothing, pearl earrings, and talk of the Roaring Twenties don’t seem to match the bleak mood of Depression-era New York

Book Review: The Reckless Oath Me Made by Bryn Greenwood

When a young woman is facing an unsteady future, layered on top of a very troubled past, the last thing she has time for is the strange young man who speaks in Middle English and is always following her around. Zee ignores him just fine until her sister goes missing and everything in her life is uncertain and she has no choice but to trust Gentry Frank.  "Zee may not be a princess, but Gentry is an actual knight, complete with sword, armor and a code of honor. Two years ago the voices he hears in his head called him to be Zee's champion. Both shy and autistic, he's barely spoken to her since, but has kept watch, ready to come to her aid."  The layers of this book are peeled away one by one, making it a deeply emotional and transient novel. Zee's character is complicated- she is sharp, deeply scarred but unabashedly brazen and brave. What I loved about her most was how trusted her gut even when she didn't have solid ground to stand on. Her mother is a hoard