Skip to main content

Something I Never Thought I'd Say...

This picture is by far one of the my favorite serendipitous moments...

How put together I am, drinking my morning coffee on a calm, quiet morning, sitting at my clean kitchen bar, reading a book and all of the sudden, I look down and notice that my coffee mug and book match... How perfect is that?





Who am I kidding. We all know that I went searching for that exact mug in the cabinet and placed it perfectly next to my book and even held down the corner of the book because it was bent up and looked a little wonky. But dang it, is that not a cute as hello photo? 

But I really did drink the coffee and I really did sit and read, so that counts. 

Anyway... the point is, I read a book this week and wanted to share. Mostly because something has happened to me that has never, ever happened before.

The book, Brooklyn by Colin Toibin, is short and sweet. I knew half way through that it was too short to be a really great saga, which is what I love. The story had potential to be really intense and very involved.

So on to the thing I've never done before. I am never a huge fan of the movie editions of books. I am always the proprietor of reading the book first and seeing the movie just as a cherry on top. HOWEVER- this is a first for me. Even though this book was good, it was a little boring. For the first time ever, I am more excited to see the movie than I was about the book. Crazy, I know! Just watch the trailer to see what I am talking about: 




Eilis is a very traditional Irish girl in the late 1940s. She lives with her mother and sister and has just gotten her first job in a popular market store. I loved the descriptions of her job, the traditional Irish town, the dialogue and the storytelling. It was smooth, interesting and very easy to read. 

She goes with her friends one evening to a dance hall and meets a boy named Tony. He's Italian, funny, interesting and Eilis finds herself falling love. I really liked their fun courtship, it was cute in a way that all relationships in the 50s were what I imagined them to be. 

But then suddenly Eilis has the opportunity to go to America...a friend of the family suggests that there is better opportunity in New York and arranges her to live in a boarding house and work in a department store. And boom, she's off. A new life, a new future.

But I kept waiting and waiting for more...I kept waiting for Tony to fight more for her to stay. What a huge life changing decision to be made...and I thought it wasn't enough of a big deal in the book. 

She makes a life-changing promise to Tony before she leaves...and of course, as love stories go...her heart changes once she goes to America...

She flourishes in American and eventually begins to love her new life, her friends, her job...and of course, then comes a handsome man named Jim. 

I did still enjoy the book, because I wanted more details, I have to say, I'm going to enjoy the movie even more... 

What's next: Currently, I am reading Wildflower by Drew Barrymore and these 2 beauties I picked up at Target this weekend: 










Comments

  1. That trailer looks amazing! And I'm so excited to read that Gillian Flynn book. She's a favorite author of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movie looks great, a lovely contemporary :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So like many of us you like to set things up for the perfect shot, and the book sounds good

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying to decide if I want to read this, listen to it...or just see the movie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

Ruth Ware always delivers when it comes to interesting and layered characters. The Turn of the Key is a thrilling account of Rowan Caine's experience as a live-in nanny in a luxurious smart home unlike anything she has ever seen. This mystery is the epitome of the saying "if it's too good to be true, it probably is" because even though moving into the home of the Elincourts is an upgrade from her tiny apartment and dead-end job, it comes at a steep price. Every chapter, there is something suspicious that kept me wondering if anyone in this suspenseful book was telling the truth. Which, is obvious in the first page because Rowan is writing a letter to a lawyer, from jail, because she's being held for murder. Who is Rowan? Did she come into the Elincourt's lives for a reason? She should have known something was wrong on the day she interviewed, when one of the children warned her to never come back. With a house full of surveillance cameras and parents who ar

Historical Fiction Recommendations

View this post on Instagram A post shared by Jennifer 📚 (@thats_what_she_read) on Jul 12, 2019 at 4:01pm PDT Raise your hand if you’re in the mood for a great  #historicalfiction  ! ⁣ randomhouse   #partner ⁣ } ⁣ The last HF I read was  # Montauk  by Nicola Harrison. It was a nice vacation! ⁣ ⁣ Here are the next two that are on my list: ⁣ TIME AFTER TIME By Lisa Grunwald (out now)⁣ A magical love story, inspired by the legend of a woman who vanished from Grand Central Terminal, sweeps readers from the 1920s to World War II and beyond. ⁣ On a clear December morning in 1937, at the famous gold clock in Grand Central Terminal, Joe Reynolds, a hardworking railroad man from Queens, meets a vibrant young woman who seems mysteriously out of place. Nora Lansing is a Manhattan socialite whose flapper clothing, pearl earrings, and talk of the Roaring Twenties don’t seem to match the bleak mood of Depression-era New York

Book Review: The Reckless Oath Me Made by Bryn Greenwood

When a young woman is facing an unsteady future, layered on top of a very troubled past, the last thing she has time for is the strange young man who speaks in Middle English and is always following her around. Zee ignores him just fine until her sister goes missing and everything in her life is uncertain and she has no choice but to trust Gentry Frank.  "Zee may not be a princess, but Gentry is an actual knight, complete with sword, armor and a code of honor. Two years ago the voices he hears in his head called him to be Zee's champion. Both shy and autistic, he's barely spoken to her since, but has kept watch, ready to come to her aid."  The layers of this book are peeled away one by one, making it a deeply emotional and transient novel. Zee's character is complicated- she is sharp, deeply scarred but unabashedly brazen and brave. What I loved about her most was how trusted her gut even when she didn't have solid ground to stand on. Her mother is a hoard